Steel Fisher is running like a tank.

So many story to tell about Steel Fisher.

One year ago I bought Fisher Beta kit from RepRapPro Ltd. To lower cost of the kit, the designers used laser cut acrylic parts from frames to core components. Effector was made out of two acrylic pieces and one wooden piece.  During the assembly I had to use glue for fixing broken parts out of necessity.  It would take at least two to three weeks for getting replacement parts from Great Britian or England.

The company closed down right after it released Fisher 1.  I felt unfortunate when I heard the news.  I didn’t expect to get technical service rather replacement parts became real concern.

I learned QCAD to convert all the DXF files for a laser cut company I dealt with. OpenSCAD’s DXF export lost critical geometry data so the company’s technician rejected DXF files I submitted twice. ^^

Anyway Bulbul Junior was out of commission due to unreliability of the  diagonal arms suspended by spring force a month ago. Putting aside Bulbul Junior, I started working on Steel Fisher.

Steel Fisher in action

Moai glasses holder

Steel Fisher

Fisher uses RepRapFirmware that has different way of handling Gcodes. Learning RepRapFirmware and undocumented practical issues of this firmware consumed many hours and frustration.

The real downside of Open Source Hardware, i.e. RepRap 3D Printer is it demands steep learning curve.  Direct technical support is unavailable.  Unfortunately so far I haven’t met  a decent maker who can give technical advice or printing parts where I live.

I made two time-laps video of Steel Fisher in action.

If I can remove subtle layer shift middle of printing session, I definetly plan to build bigger version of Steel Fisher.

After many hours of two Delta 3D Printers, I honestly do not recommend it to others. It’s a delicate machine that one failure of critical parts renders usability.  For instance, one or two freeplay out of 12 joints create calibration nightmare and inconsistent printing quality, notoriously layer shift.

The acceptable assembly error of six diagonal rods are within 0.1 mm.  All 12 joints have to be firm, should provide no freeplay. A tiny wiggle of effector contributes random layer shift.

Duet 0.6 wiring

About janpenguin

Email: janpenguin [at] riseup [dot] net Every content on the blog is made by Free and Open Source Software in GNU/Linux.
This entry was posted in Reprap 3D Printer and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s